Thursday, February 18, 2016

Braving the Basement


Deep inside this little house, lies a dark, cold place.  Those on the main floor are blissfully unaware of this "scary" part until...they need to do laundry.

Yep, it's one of those basements.  The narrow steps, concrete walls and floors, bangs from the furnace, gurgling from the water pipes.  And of course, that's where the washer and dryer are.

However, there/s something in that basement that called to me to "pretty up" right away.  At the bottom of the stairs, there's some narrow shelving along a wall that is perfect for a couponer's stockpile.  The upright freezer is down there too, so it's time to brave the basement.




The shelves are painted wood, the backside is actually the paneling from the room on the other side.  At one time, they put a lot of paneling in this house.  The shelving was fine by itself, just needed some washing.  But, I'm going to spend some time down here stocking the shelves and such.  Why not make more welcoming?

I raided the Dollar Tree three times for shelf paper, someone else must be using the same one that I am right now.  To make it quick and easy, I started a roll at the top, and then just rolled it down.  I needed nearly two widths for each side of the shelves.

Some of it came out with some bubbles and puckers, but once the shelves are full of my stockpile, it won't be noticeable.  Most people will focus on what's on the shelves rather than the background anyway.


Now it's time to unpack the boxes of food and supplies.  The area has a fun personality now, it's the first step to making the basement pretty.  I'm not sure when or if I'll do more down here.  Maybe around the laundry area or perhaps put a rug or something near the stockpile shelves.  It's not a place I'll spend much time in, rather it's a utilitarian area for now.



My next project will be upstairs.  Will it be the bathroom?  Painting the living room?  The mudroom?  I've no idea, but I'll let you know when I figure it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment